it can also improve your health and quality of life as you get older. You can use the new MyPlate to determine how
many calories you need and what food groups you should focus on or, if you’re looking for smaller changes, you can
use these tips for simple ways to change how you eat:
- Eat more fruit. Add it to your cereal, your salads or even your dinners.
- Sneak in more veggies. Add them wherever you can–a tomato on your sandwich, peppers on your pizza,or extra veggies in your pasta sauce. Keep pre-cut or canned/frozen veggies ready for quick snacks.
- Switch your salad dressing. If you eat full-fat dressing, switch to something lighter and you’ll automatically eat less calories.
- Eat low-fat or fat-free dairy. Switching to skim milk or fat free yogurt is another simple way to eat less calories without having to change too much in your diet.
- Make some substitutes. Look through your cabinets or fridge and pick 3 foods you eat every day. Write down the nutritional content and, the next time you’re at the store, find lower-calorie substitutes for just those 3 items.
Creating a healthy lifestyle doesn’t have to mean drastic changes. In fact, drastic changes almost always lead to failure. Making small changes in how you live each day can lead to big rewards, so figure out what you can to be healthy today.